Working Partnerships USA is seeking a talented and strategic storyteller to lift up the voices of marginalized communities, amplify the power of grassroots organizing, and drive transformative campaigns for economic, social, and racial justice.
We are building our communications team, with a focus on shifting the narratives that set the terrain on which advocacy campaigns are fought. Our team leverages Working Partnerships’ research and policy expertise, deep organizing, and innovative civic engagement programs in order to explain complex issues, expose the harmful structural forces and myths that hold back progress, and tell the stories of brave worker, tenant, and grassroots leaders who stand up to win better lives for their families and communities.
As the Movement Storyteller, you will be crafting the content that is central to building narratives, from crisply-written op-eds to eye-catching social media graphics. You will be growing our email and social media audiences in order to spread our message and move supporters to action. And you will be shaping news coverage by pitching stories to the media and making sure we provide reporters with compelling quotes and connections to the people most affected by the issues we work on.
The ideal candidate will be a strong writer, have a keen eye for design, and be excited to explore new tools and technologies. You thrive in a fast-paced campaign environment, and can keep multiple projects moving, plan for and hit deadlines, and collaborate with partners both inside and outside the organization. You will report to our Communications & Data Director and work closely with our organizing and policy teams.
Working Partnerships USA is a community organization bringing together the power of grassroots organizing and public policy innovation to drive the movement for a just economy. Based in Silicon Valley, we tackle the root causes of inequality and poverty by leading collaborative campaigns for family-sustaining jobs, stable and affordable housing, healthy communities, and a democracy where all our voices are heard.
Our campaigns take on some of the leading issues of our time — the gig economy, the housing affordability crisis, the tech industry’s impact on our communities, the future of work. Our work draws national attention and shapes conversations and campaigns across the country, from kickstarting the national movement to raise the minimum wage back in 2012, to supporting the Uber and Lyft drivers who organized to win California’s groundbreaking AB 5 legislation that says gig corporations cannot exclude their workers from the basic protections we should all expect in our jobs.
- Create compelling content (written, graphics, and video) that tell the stories of communities impacted by the campaigns we work on and shift public narratives around these issues.
- Manage our social media channels and email list.
- Pitch stories to reporters, write press releases and talking points, serve as a media point person, and coordinate interview requests.
- Use digital tools to grow our base of supporters and move people to take action.
- Perform other duties as required to support the work of the organization as a whole.
- Most fundamentally, you should be a strategic thinker who can craft powerful stories that hit campaign objectives.
- You can write quickly and sharply for a variety of audiences and in different formats, from press releases to research reports to op-eds.
- You’ve got an eye for design, and think about how good design can create emotion and guide someone through a complex topic.
- You’re tech savvy and comfortable learning new skills and software through a mix of training, exploration, and self-directed study.
- You likely have some experience with Adobe Creative Suite or similar tools, photography, video production, or creating content for social media.
- You’ve got strong organization and tracking skills. You keep projects moving, make sure things don’t slip through the cracks, and meet deadlines.
Compensation & Location
This position is based in San Jose, CA. Due to the on-the-ground nature of our campaigns, you must be able to be in the office most days. Annual salary range from $62,000 to $70,000 and will be based on experience. Generous benefits package including full family health, dental, and vision insurance; paid vacations and holiday leave; and 401(k). This is a full-time, exempt position and an excellent opportunity for those seeking career advancement over time.
Working Partnerships USA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBTQ, and local residents are strongly encouraged to apply.